I use Earth Day as a time to start a new habit or way of doing things that reduces the negative effect I have on the global ecology.Two years ago is was replacing all of my lightbulbs with CFL"s (and I will go to LCD bulbs once they are economically viable). Last year it was getting serious about recycling, and I have gotten even more thorough about it recently.
This year I decided to start my own vegetable garden. I don't live in the best house for it, the back yard is in far too much shade and we are right across from the school. A garden in the front yard may not survive all that well due to the school but it will get enough light to have a shot at growing well.
I have some fond memories (among all the ones of me being angry about having to pick weeds) of the gardens we had when I was growing up. I want one of my own and as a bonus I save money on groceries, have some healthier and fresher food, and reduce my carbon footprint by not purchasing veggies that had to be trucked in and grown with fossil fuel based fertilizers. I wish I could have a bigger garden (though then I would need a rototiller), but I'll have to wait until I move for that. I don't think Courtney will let me take over the entire front yard.
Here are a few links and freebies or giveaways today:
- Reynolds Wrap is giving away mail-in rebates so you can have free boxes of their new foil made from 100 percent recycled aluminum. You can get the coupon from their website, they are custom made per person so you need to do this today! You can buy the foil anytime until May 14th.
- Drugstore.com is offering a free Seventh generation tote bag with $40 worth of samples with every order of $30 or more from their Green & Natural Shop.
- The Disney Store is giving a free surprise gift to anyone that brings in three plastic water bottles today...rumored to be a reusable Mickey tote bag.
- Walgreens.com has a printable coupon to get 15 percent off plus a free tote bag at their brick & mortor locations.
No comments:
Post a Comment